Am I eligible for your DPS Road Test Service?
To be eligible, you must:
- Be at least 16 years of age, have held a valid learner license for a minimum of six months, completed an approved Teen or Parent Taught Driver Education in its entirety and completed the Impact Texas Teen Drivers (ITTD) course.
- Be 18-24 years of age, have completed the adult driver education course in its entirety (or have completed an approved Teen or Parent Taught Driver Education in its entirety) and have a restricted driver license and completed the Impact Texas Young Drivers (ITYD) program.
- Be 25 years of age or older and have a restricted driver license and completed the Impact Texas Young Drivers (ITYD) program.
- Must have completed a full driver education course of classroom and in-car education (not the 6 hour adult course).
- Must have a DE-964 (Texas Driver Education Certificate) from either a public school, a driving school or an accredited parent-taught course (such as Driver Ed In A Box).
- Must have completed the DPS required 2 hour Impact Texas Teen Driver (ITTD) program, which is available for free at https://impacttexasteendrivers.dps.texas.gov/
Can I have the examiner take me through a practice test before the real test?
Yes. In fact, if you want to improve your chances of doing better on the test, we highly recommend taking what is called a Pre-Test. Applicants who take the Pre-Test not only score better on the test, but they improve their driving skills as they receive coaching on what they need to be safe drivers.
Can I order a pre-test and road test at the same time?
You sure can, and we highly recommend that they be scheduled together if you want to take both. Try to select two available slots back-to-back (30 minutes apart) in our online booking calendar (one after the other, before you checkout through PayPal). This will let you pay for both at the same time in one PayPal transaction, and save you time on the day of your appointments. (Having a PayPal account is not required.)
If you can not find two adjacent slots 30 minutes apart in our booking calendar, contact us so we can open up a special day and time for you to take both your Pre-test and DPS Road Test, back-to-back on the same day.
Can I take a test on a day or at a time that you do not have on the schedule?
Yes. For a modest fee, you can have a private appointment set up to exclusively test you. Just contact us and we will work out the details.
What Is The Price To Take A DPS Road Test, Or A Practice Pre-Test?
The price is $135 each. Considering the convenience and time-savings compared to waiting through lines at the DPS office, our customers consider the reasonable price well worth the investment.
Can I buy from you without a PayPal account?
Yes. Having a PayPal account is optional. If you use our online checkout form on this page, you can still pay us by credit card through PayPal without an account. Just click the “Pay With Debit or Credit Card” button when you arrive at the checkout page on PayPal.Com. If you prefer to order by credit card over the phone, just call 1-800-562-6405 during our business hours, from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday.
What paperwork must I bring to my DPS Road Test (or Pre-Test) appointment?
1. Your Learner’s License (permit). It must be valid (not expired).
2. Your DE-964 (Texas Driver Education Certificate).
3. Your ITTD Certificate of Completion.
What does my vehicle need to qualify for the tests?
1. Current insurance coverage. The applicant does not have to be listed on the policy, but the applicant may not be EXCLUDED on the insurance.
2. Current registration sticker. Exception: Temporary (paper) plate on back of vehicle.
3. Front and rear license plate. Exception: Dealer plate (not “In Transit”) or Temporary (paper) plate on back of vehicle.
4. We check the functionality of the horn, signal and brake lights (and the wipers and headlights if it is raining).
What if my vehicle does not pass your inspection?
No problem. We have a vehicle on-site for you to use. Vehicle use fee for test: $35.
Can I use your vehicle if I don’t want to test in mine?
Yes. We have a vehicle on-site for you to use. Vehicle use fee for test: $35. We will give you some warm up time to get used to the vehicle and to practice parallel parking, prior to the test.
Can I get the test routes so I can practice in advance?
Yes. In fact, we send them to you via email after you schedule your test appointment. This is one of the reasons it is so important for you to open any email you get from us.
Can I get my license the same day I pass the test?
Yes, provided the DPS driver license office is open. If you are under 18, you will also need your VOE form (Verification of Enrollment) from your school. You got a VOE form when you obtained your Learner’s License. Those forms are only good for 30 days, so you need another one when you go in to get your Provisional License.
What if I fail the test? How long do I have to wait before I can re-test and is there a fee?
It depends on why you failed the test. If you made a simple mistake that is easily corrected, we will re-test you that day (preferably without too long a delay – that is a function of the schedule for that day). In this instance, we will waive the re-test fee.
If you fail the test because you are not prepared to pass and need considerable practice before you come back to re-test, then we will discuss with you and your folks what needs to be corrected and you will need to reschedule for another road test and pay a reduced re-test fee.
What is your cancellation policy?
Cancellation Policy: There will be no refund for no-shows or cancellations within less than 72 hours of appointment. If you would like to reschedule your appointment or cancel your appointment and receive a refund, please make sure you let us know at least 72 hours before your scheduled appointment. If you were unable to make it to your scheduled Road Test appointment and did not give enough notice, you can schedule another appointment at a reduced rate.
Do you test in the rain?
Yes. The only reason we would not test would be if there is flooding in the area and it is not safe to test.
What if I have other questions not answered on your web site? And is there more than one way to communicate with your office?
We want you to be comfortable and satisfied when doing business with us, and welcome all your questions about our products and services. Choose any contact option below that you prefer:
- To contact us by phone: call 1-800-562-6405 during our business hours, from 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday.
- To contact us by email, use: firstname.lastname@example.org
- To contact us by text, use our TEXT ONLY number: 832-819-1931